[pianotech] Baldwin Hamilton Lock

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Tue Jan 11 00:49:30 MST 2011

Rob

Since the Hamilton fallboard is at an angle, a convention fall board lock isn't going to work. There are two options. One is to put a full cover on it, as you suggested. It won't lock the piano, but it does prevent most people from playing on the piano.

The other option is to put a lock on the piano that attaches to the fall board and the front rail. The problem with that is that it look ugly and tacky, but more importantly, when the key is lost, someone will try to force the lock off, which make an even bigger mess, especially on a nice piano such as this one. You notice I said when, and not if, because the key for that lock WILL be lost.

If it was me, I would go for the first option.

Wim