[pianotech] pitch and temperature

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Tue Jan 11 03:58:09 MST 2011

Hi Will, Ron, David, Patrick, Gene & et all

I will bow to your wisdom. It seems that the majority opinion is that the
temp change is the cause of the pitch changing whilst tuning a piano.

Possibly my time in Darwin Australia has coloured my opinion of this affect
due to the extremes in humidity and lack of change in temp.

However, I will give you a scene of every day tuning during the "wet"
season.

It is 2PM and I am to tune a piano in a house in Nightcliff. The temp is 33C
and the RH is 80% (Min temp the previous night was 26C.   The windows are
open and the room temp is the same as outside. Ceiling fans are on.

 Now we have two scenes

1.       I open the upright piano and start tuning, (my average tuning time
is 50 minutes) Mute middle section, set a scale, tune up two octaves and
check F5 to F3 and find a double octave beat of 1.5 to 2 wahs per second.
The piano has in a space of 15 minutes gone sharp in F3. Forgot to turn the
fan off.

2.       I turn the fans off, open the piano, Mute middle section, set a
scale, tune up two octaves and check F5 to F3 and find a .5 wah per second.
F3 has still risen but is acceptable, me, I am now sweating like a pig.

I have always believed that when the fan is on it pushes the moist air into
the piano which causes the soundboard to swell, action movement to slow or
stop and a lousy tuning.

I learnt to switch the fans off, work fast, tune a piano is 30 minutes and
cover it up The get paid and go home to change clothes for the 3rd time.

Now you may say that  the fan being on has caused the temp inside the piano
to rise by 2C in tem faster than it would normally and that rise in temp has
caused my tuning problem or you may say oh, but this is extreme conditions.

Sure I will always leave a piano for 3 weeks to stablise the MC after I fit
a Dampp-Chaser system before I tune it and yes, I know that temperature also
affects the tuning pitch of a piano but ?

Tony Caught

acaught at internode.on.net