[pianotech] My Dillema: 5 Browns

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:05:03 MST 2011

Phil,

You just can't, period, nobody can.  Get a well respected tuner to join
you.  I've never done these guys/gals, but try this.  Put a master tuning
on the "main" piano.  get help from another tech to match at least your
temperament on the main one, and try to match as well as you can from
there on the B's from there to top and bottom.... Really, they only give
you 5 hours??  That just gives you a "hint" on what they expect.  They're
probably used to something close. Unisons and fairly clear octaves are all
they are looking for. just do that. Don't worry about a perfect
temperament....too much time.

I would just tune their main piano in the best way you can, get, perhaps
the other D as close as you can, and make the B's sound the best they can
with the time you're given.  Another great tuner is all you can do to help
you out.  What else can you do???

Regulation prep is right out.  All you can do is get a relatively good
matching tuning throughout the 5 instruments.  No way can you get them all
in perfect tune together, so just relax, and do the best you can.

I've never dealt with them, but I'm sure it's coming someday...

Best of luck,
Paul