[pianotech] animals interrupting tunings

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 11:53:57 MST 2011

Very early in my career, I reconditioned a console that lived right next to a cockatiel’s cage. You can imagine what cleaning the keys and keyframe was like. While I was regulating, it sat on my shoulder and preened my moustache. During the tuning, it also perched on my shoulder, and shook it’s little head with every test blow.

I currently have a customer with a nice Disklavier grand and a full size Alaskan malamute. It howled through half the piano tuning on a recent visit. I could not find the customer, so I just persevered and got the job done.

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA

What kinds of stories do some of you have about animals interrupting tunings? I have one customer with a dog which tried to sing the note I was tuning. Sometimes I ask customers to remove the bird cage from the room as the birds really get going as I do the top octaves.