[pianotech] Using a burn in knife to repair lacquer

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Wed Jan 12 15:20:17 MST 2011

David,

If it's a very small repair, I'd suggest a "doty" type repair.  Just get
some S&S black lacquer from Wurdack and "dot" the lacquer in the area to be
repaired.  Build it up so it's just slightly above the surface, let it cure
and then work it back down.  If it's small, I'd probably use a chisel to get
the repair nearly flat, then sand and blend it in as necessary (to p400 or
p600, then 0000 steel wool with a polish).

William R. Monroe