[pianotech] Chromatic Cat

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:38:51 MST 2011

When I was still in music college over 30 years ago, I was tuning a grand
piano in a room that had a glass wall overlooking a lake. There was a
Siamese cat waiting to get in at the door and I just silently prayed that
his owner would delay letting him in until I finished tuning, as these cats
can be quite whiney. I had only about 2 octaves of the unisons to do on the
temperament strip when she saw the cat and let him in. I decided to tune the
unisons down in descending order to perhaps better concentrate. The cat
meowed and matched my E4 perfectly, then D#4, and so on! I invited the lady
of the house to listen. When I got below middle "C" it was hilarious to
watch the cat try to meow below his capable range, making the same
mannerisms that a guy might if he couldn't quite reach a bass note. After
that I played random notes all over that 2 octave range and the cat matched
each one. Too bad we didn't have cell phones with video capability back then
to capture the moment!

Jim Sasso
Atlantic Player Piano,
Foxboro, MA