[pianotech] Reviving Felt

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Jan 16 01:43:41 MST 2011

If we're talking about the same piece of felt, the big supposedly cushy
round red piece setting jack position, I've found it to be a common
source of action noise.

The problem being, will the new one be any quieter than the used one? It
can be a pretty firm piece of felt. There's a tradeoff between the
exactness of regulation of the jack under the knuckle, versus the
quietness from it being fluffy and therefore not exact. I think that the
exactness usually wins.

Susan