[pianotech] Reviving Felt

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Sun Jan 16 06:58:49 MST 2011

I've replaced many sets of jack rest felt. Most recently is a Samick, c. 1992.
The jack rest was a woven cloth and now the pressed felt is silent.

Another source of noise was the rep lever hitting the upstop screw. I fashioned
a narrow Exacto blade to under cut the buckskin/Ecsaineat the screw
contact point.
This decoupled the material from the lever and now it too is silent.

Not noise related but regulation-wise, I needed to elevate the stack 4mm
to get it to regulate properly and for the hammers not to hit over-centered
(a bit under-centered now - so it will wear in).

It had wip assist springs on the first third of the keyboard with no lead and
an inordinate amount of lead in the rest. I installed springs on the
rest of the
wips with new, shop made, longer-arm springs (replaced the bass as well).
With a Stanwood FW application it now has a 36 BW (pretty much S&S
concert spec on overall touchweight).

Hammer tapering, SW graduation (3/4 med. down from 1/4 high)
along with tail and backcheck squaring helped also.

It's turning into a rather nice little grand.
--

Regards,

Jon Page