[pianotech] Gee dad!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 17 17:27:09 MST 2011

I had an interesting morning today. Tuned a Wurlitzer spinet that was
last tuned before whales descended from the trees. Trees used to be
bigger, I'm told. It was grandma's piano, now owned by the
granddaughter. Mom, after a holiday visit, thought it a shame that such
a valuable and desired instrument, and family heirloom, should be in
such a state of tune. So she called me, got a price range, and left a
check with the daughter.

Fast forward to this morning.

This was the first piano in probably 15 years that I had to make three
passes on - at least 2 semitones, maybe up to 250¢ pitch raise. One by
one, kids came shuffling out of their caves in their Dr Dentons,
squinting in awe and horror for varying periods of time as their
awakening nervous systems allowed, then shuffled off for food or some
other sanctuary. One little girl, and the dog, intermittently stuck out
the whole process. She dragged in a chair as tall as she was, climbed up
with her doll, and camped. Forays into the kitchen always brought her
back to her chair. The dog circulated, cruising past occasionally for a
back scratch. Everyone stayed awake, the dog thinks I'm a swell guy, and
the piano doesn't sound nearly as wretched as it did yesterday. A good
mission, all things considered. We'll address the other stuff next time...

Ron N