[pianotech] A432 Tuning Fork

Jim Moy jim at moypiano.com
Wed Jan 19 23:00:46 MST 2011

Since you're considering the electronic alternatives, you might take a look
at Jim Coleman's 12/2008 article in the PTG Journal. Basically: tune the
piano's 3rd partial of A4 a few bps sharp of a quartz oscillator's 3rd
partial.

Get yourself a good quartz reference metronome with an A440 tuning
setting. I bought my second Seiko SQ-50 on eBay for $10. (My teenager
commandeered my first for band.) Both were within 0.2 cents of 440, tested
against my NIST calibrated Tunelab. If you're in a hurry, maybe you'll pay
$25-30.

Three times more accurate. Cheap as a fork. No drift with temperature. Sits
next to you on the bench, so no bopping your knee, or vibrating your
teeth. Of course you've got to worry about having a fresh battery in the
oscillator, but you can do that long beforehand.

Jim