[pianotech] A432 Tuning Fork

Roger Domeny rogerdomeny at att.net
Fri Jan 21 08:13:19 MST 2011

However, in the article I referenced, what Jim Coleman showed was that over
a broad set of piano brands and sizes (perhaps more diverse than what will
be encountered on the tuning exam?), the inharmonicity while varying can be
predicted to fall within a reasonably sized window. That window, combined
with the increased accuracy of listening at a higher partial, leads to a
very good method for setting pitch.

Jim, this is interesting, and perhaps as you suggest a bit renegade :). I'll
have to see if I can find JC's article so I can learn more about it. My
comments, however, were directed at someone who is preparing for the tuning
exam. It seems to me that your method of setting pitch using the third
partial relies on an assumption about the inharmonicity of the piano in
front of you. Apart from taking inharmonicity measurements, which is neither
practical nor possible in the exam setting, who's to say that this
particular piano isn't the exception to the rule, with inharmonicity outside
the window? For this reason I would not recommend its use during the exam.

Roger Domeny
Domeny's Piano Service