[pianotech] Tuning Fork Standard

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 21 11:19:41 MST 2011

On 1/21/2011 8:21 AM, George F Emerson wrote:

> Prior to electronics, and after the invention of tuning forks, they
> would have been calibrated to organ pipes, or a more portable "pitch
> pipe," with a range of tolerance of 400-500 cents, as we might quantify
> it today.

Well, there you go. The autistic savant could have gotten a lot closer.

Seriously, a standard such as a gut string of D diameter, by L length,
with a W weight supplying tension, could have been much more precise.
But then, lifetime communication range was walking distance for lots of
folks, so even an excellent easily made local pitch calibration tool
wouldn't make it to all areas, and wouldn't be accepted anyway if it
meant rebuilding instruments to comply.

Fortunately, we now have an accurately determined A440 standard that's
universally accommodated in all venues professional and private, right?

Uh, yea.
Ron N