[pianotech] Tuning Fork Standard

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Jan 21 13:52:03 MST 2011

Nice info;  I got the message 3 times...about how many times I hit my fork
on my knee during setting pitch :>) I have a great John Walker fork I've
had for 20 years. Steve Brady and I had to shave off a tiny bit on the
ends of the tongs to get a perfect 440.....but it will vary a bit on the
temperature of said fork.  It's perfect at 69.5 degrees.

Always check temperatures when tuning.  I've gotten very good as
estimating the variances from 65-72 degrees and other than testing
purposes, if it is around 1 cent +/- off, I don't really worry about it
(concert wise).  Setting 442 is a different story. I have a very good
sense of getting a second beat in my head, and will even watch the clock
for 10-15 seconds to make sure my tempo is just, and then go from there. I
don't have a 442 fork. Some eastern European folks like 442.  Fortunately,
nobody has ever asked for wild stuff like 445 or 435....They'll be a time,
I'm sure having been a CAUT for only 5 years.

Not one visiting or resident artist has ever checked my 440, but they'll
be reassured to know it's dang close every time! Perfect every time;
doubtful. Confidence in my estimations: priceless!

Paul