[pianotech] Old Upright Blues

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Fri Jan 21 19:49:01 MST 2011

Today's piano was a learning experience, a Melville Clark upright from
1902. It started out, months ago, as a conversation with a
do-it-your-self-er who wanted me to fix his keyboard by regluing a few
ivories. He had "rebuilt" the action and just wanted me to supply and
attach some ivory heads. He lived way up in the mountains so volunteered
to bring the keys to my shop. Sounds easy enough but there was more to
the story and I didn't bother to think through or ask what I might
ultimately be getting myself into.

I did ask about what was done in this alleged rebuild and found out
that, besides replacing the bridal tapes and bass dampers, he vacuumed
out the keybed (yes, including the punchings). Oh, and he wanted me to
replace the back rail cloth. Okay, fine, and today I brought the
necessary materials along with the recovered keys.

To get started, I had Mr. Doityourselfer install new balance rail
punchings while I fixed some brass rail problems. Then I sent him to his
office so I could glue in the backrail cloth and ease and space the
keys. No key leveling or dip yet because I've never tuned this thing,
this free piano from across the street. Let's see if it's tunable now
that it has keys.

I found 7 pins in the mid section which would not hold a pitch even
though their coils had been driven into the exposed pin block and
several more that were very loose but holding. I recommended restringing
but this was out of the question. The customer was philosophical about
the outcome and after collecting the check, we parted on a friendly
note. I told him I would give it some thought and get back to him.

Personally, I'm not in favor of putting oversize pins on 109-year-old
strings and I don't see how super glue on the loose pins would work if
the coils are hard against the pin block.

If you were in this situation, what would you do?

Tom Cole