[pianotech] Keyboard Metrology Sound-off!!!

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 03:21:32 MST 2011

> Hello,

 > I am curious as to how many of my fellow techs are regularly
weighing off keyboards.>>

An even FW is sensed at a deeper level than the simple comparisons of DW, (perhaps on the level of telling the difference between
ivory and plastic? )  However, many people playing the piano don't sense things that sensitively. So, the extra time required is not always justified.  It makes little sense to
weigh-off the keys and make all the adjustments necessary for a piano that is only going to be pounded on after four
drinks on Christmas eve.  However, out on that stage, when it all comes down to a difficult Chopin or Debussy passage,
I think many pianists can feel the difference.
    I think this is more important for fast passage work, since effects of inertia increase with velocity.  If the piano is only
going to be played in, say, a funeral home, I wouldn't recommend spending on a step like this, but if it is going on stage
or under a professor's hands, I consider it essential.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT