[pianotech] Old Upright Blues

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 22 04:09:48 MST 2011

It's a great question Roger. For me, the short answer is experience. My
experience with oversize pins alone is about 50% success. With CA it's about
99%. Since I started using CA several years ago, I've re-strung a couple of
uprights with oversize pins, but I first squirted a little thin CA into the
hole. The results were amazing compared to previous endeavors. The CA takes
care of the structural issues in the pin block- cracks, delaminations.
Without the CA you are only compounding those structural issues.

Since Susan encouraged me to try applying CA without tilting many years ago
I've found great success doing it. I rarely tilt a piano anymore. I use a
bulb syringe that I get from the hobby store where I buy my glue. It gives
great control and lets me put the glue right where I want it. I put my
headlamp on so I can see better to not apply too much so that it won't run
down the plate (much). It's also best to pull the action way from the
strings a little, or hold the damper pedal down while doing this. Over
exhuberance in the application will cause the CA to run down the strings and
glue the damper to the strings. At least that's what someone told me...

Dean