[pianotech] Old Upright Blues

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 05:57:46 MST 2011

Susan - I usually really enjoy reading your posts (seriously - I do!),
but this one I feel compelled to try and punch a few holes in.......

> On 1/21/2011 7:57 PM, Roger at Integra.net wrote:
>>
>> I've notice that many technicians don't like replacing loose pins
>> with larger ones. I'm at a loss as to the reasons why. Can anybody
>> explain why replacing with a larger pin on an old upright is
>> sanctimonious. It seems like a quick and reliable fix.
>
> On Jan 21, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Susan Kline wrote:

> Oh, the note you fix will be just fine. But since it was loose from
> cracks down below in the first place,the bigger pin will spread the
> cracks and the neighboring notes will be toast.

The pinblock is cracked? How do you know? Yes, I agree this might be
the case, but IMHO it is at least as likely, if not more so, that the
tuning pin hole has simply enlarged from pinblock shrinking and
swelling and perhaps pin friction over the many years. In that case,
the bigger pin should work fine and not affect neighboring pins.

> Besides, the CA glue does wonders. And it's not that the pin is
> suddenly too small -- it's that the hole got too big. Exactly like
> stripped screw holes, with the same kind of drawbacks when putting
> in bigger pieces of metal instead of repairing the hole.

Hold the phone here. I thought we had a cracked pinblock? Now the hole
has simply enlarged? And what pray-tell is fundamentally wrong with a
larger screw as a remedy for a stripped screw hole (as long as the
larger screw is large enough to bite into un-chewed-up wood)?
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!   ;-)

Terry Farrell