[pianotech] Keyboard Metrology Sound-off!!!

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Jan 22 12:34:55 MST 2011

This is true. In my dreams the pianists would all come to my shop or
someplace where I could show them a well-prepared piano to play on and
suggest that their piano could play as well as this one. Otherwise it's
just abstract information and a high price tag.

I do get the occasional opportunity to improve the geometry of a piano
that plays like a truck, or the player has developed carpal tunnel
syndrome and needs a lower balance weight. If I'm hanging new hammers, I
always smooth out the strike weight and make an effort to retain
touchweight if they like how their piano plays.

The last piano action I completely rebuilt with all new parts, I was
careful about adjusting the strikeweights to the Stanwood curves. A
pianist came by and played a chromatic scale bottom to top, and this was
before I had a chance to weigh off the keys. She said the keyboard felt
very even (the keys had standard Steinway leading). It makes me think
that the inertial resistance of the hammers, multiplied by the action
ratio, is what we feel more than anything else - the basics of
regulation being taken care of, of course. Or am I just stating the obvious?

Tom Cole