[pianotech] Old Upright Blues

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat Jan 22 14:00:57 MST 2011

> >If you were in this situation, what would you do?
> Tom Cole<

Hi, Tom

If you just want a bandaid to get the piano to work, and the problem
with using CA is that the pins have been driven till the coils touch the
plate, then what you might do, depending on how many of them there are,
is to slack a string (both ends, I imagine, or maybe one end at a time)
enough to remove the beckets, turn the pins back out till there will be
the right distance from the coil to the plate after it is pulled to
pitch, apply CA glue to the crack where the pins enter the plate or
plate bushings, wait 1/2 hour (you can be doing others), and put the
strings back on, pulling to pitch. If turning the pins out far enough
gets them so loose they fall out in your hand, you can take a Q-tip and
swab the holes with CA before turning them back in.

I'd do only the ones which needed doing. One assumes that the only ones
to be driven too far in were the ones which couldn't be tuned without
it. I'd just leave the rest, adding a drop or two of CA where they enter
the plate during tuning if they slip too badly.

Of course you feel sore about letting yourself in for this annoyance,
but if you consider it a free attempt to work on minimal repairs on a
piano of no commercial value, at your usual hourly fee, one assumes,
then the experience gained might be a consolation prize.

Susan