[pianotech] To unplug or not to unplug

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 23 22:08:14 MST 2011

Thanks, Tom.

br
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Rhea, Jr." <rheapiano at cox.net>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Sunday, January 23, 2011 10:54:48 PM
Subject: Re: [pianotech] To unplug or not to unplug

Hi Barbara,

I sing with the Virginia Symphony Chorus and we’ve got a similar situation where we rehearse. Our Baldwin grand is in the lunchroom/assembly room of a Christian school and is only uncovered for rehearsal once or twice a week. During non-rehearsal time it is moved to the side of the room and plugged in, but during rehearsal it is unplugged and does very well. The amount if time that it is unplugged is really inconsequential to its stability. As a certified DC installer, I have no problem with it being unplugged for the 3 hours of rehearsal time each week. I suspect that your Yamaha, if the parish hall is relatively stable (no large temperature or humidity swings), would do well being unplugged for the relatively short time of rehearsal. The small benefit of being continuously plugged in isn’t worth the added safety hazard to chorus members.

Regards,

Tom

Rhea Piano Service

Tom Rhea, Jr., Technician

(757) 373-0284

rheapiano at cox.net

Graduate, Randy Potter School of Piano Technology

Certified Installer, Dampp-Chaser Piano Lifesaver Humidity Control Systems