[pianotech] To unplug or not to unplug

Conrad Hoffsommer choffsommer at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 06:19:47 MST 2011

I cut the power cord short and attached it to a back post. Arranged a loop to act as a strain relief/release for when the piano got moved beyond extension length. (after one poor humidistat got turned inside out)  Got a number of extension cords to use as replacements for bare wires caused by repeated runovers.  One piano prof made a little bag which could hold the extension cord and hung it by a cord  from a lid hinge. (up out of audience line-o-sight)

I laminated a sign with a message to plug the piano in and attached it to the cover.

It worked if;
a. the people can and do read (professors seemed to have a problem with this one)
b. they put the cover back on. (provided they didn't put the cover on inside-out.)

YMMV
Conrad Hoffsommer