[pianotech] deep gouges

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 24 17:03:16 MST 2011

Hi, Charles:
    You could use the standard burn-in lacquer stick, which would take a bit of time levelling, sanding, rubbing, etc.  You could also get a black colored epoxy wood stick from Mohawk.  It comes in a "tootsie roll" form, so you cut off a piece and knead it.  There are several colors available including black.  Probably wouldn't look the best, but might fill some ugly gouges.  Or you could use other kinds of bondo type fillers (two part polyester glazing putty sands very well- automotive type), then spray over it.  or use a padding lacquer with black powdered color.  The only way it's going to look perfect is to refinish.  Even if you do burn-in repairs, the lacquer stick is going to look grey-er than the surrounding finish.   Sometimes you can use some padding lacquer over the burn-in which makes it appear darker.
    We're having fun, right?  Good luck!
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego