[pianotech] Broadman grand

Barbara Nobbe barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
Tue Jan 25 20:09:34 MST 2011

Hi Rick,

There is a newer line of Brodmann pianos out that are Chinese produced.  I have worked on a few trying to prep them for sale at a piano dealer.  I have not had any experience yet to see how they hold up long term in the customer homes.

For what they are, I haven't seen anything yet too alarming.  You will probably find that the strings are not settled in the agraffes causing "pings" and tuning instability.  To resolve, take your stringing hook and pull up on the strings at the agraffes, then tune.

I think the action feels pretty good.  It's got a nice lighter touch and I've not come across any major regulation issues yet.  The sound is the thinner, Asian-style sound, but if your customer is getting one of the larger grands, it is possible to do some voicing to add some depth.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Barb Nobbe, RPT
Lexington, KY