[pianotech] aural tuning

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 07:43:09 MST 2011

Hi Everyone,
By responding to the list about aural tuning, I feel as if I just bought a puppy and forgot to house train him, I better watch where I step. :-)   As a vison impaired person, we were trained the aural method at the school of course.  I recall hearing about an instance where Jim Coleman and Virgel Smith tuned.  When comared, the tunings turned out similar.  My take is, be the best at what you are best at, forgive the lingo here.  If using one of those fancy gadgets is your thing then by all means be the best you can be.  If using God's tuning device is your thing then use it.  However, I think every piano tech should have a firm grasp on aural tuning should the energizer bunny decide to take a vacation while you're tuning.

I wear nice docker type pants or cargo type pants and a dress shirt with either a sweater vest or sweater lately. Or if it's warm enough, just a dress shirt or button down collar shirt.  In the summer I'll wear a nice golf shirt with docker type pants.  I'm thinking about having golf shirts made with my company name on them.  I love the pen idea, and I want to check out these books. Hopefully I can get them on barnes  & Noble or Amazon.  Wearing a tie, aint gonna happen, unless of course I am tuning for a special occasion.  I will wear dress pants and dress shoes and dress shirt of course.  I have a friend who does wear the sport coat and tie to work.  It was interesting watching him help me fix a piano bench in my basement wearing church clothes.   :-)  I have about 100 ties I I don't even wear.  However, if this is the key to obtaining more work, hey maybe I'll try it.

Well that's my take on things.  What do you guys think?

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com
215-510-9400