[pianotech] aural tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:32:49 MST 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Ryan Sowers <tunerryan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, like LaRoy Edwards has said, "If you would like to make more money,
> wear a tie. It's Ok if you don't want to make more money. But if you do,
> wear a tie."
>
> Ryan

Do whut? This falls on its face. Wearing a tie will not make me write a
larger amount on my invoice. :-)

Now, I think I understand what he means. If we wear a tie, it might make
people think we are more professional. Maybe ... but I couldn't care less if
my family physician wears a tie. Or my dentist. Or my lawyer. Or my CPA. In
fact, none of them do. Oh, my chiropractor does. But his tie is always
tucked into his shirt so it doesn't hang all over his patients. I think it
looks stupid.

I think ties get in the way. (You wear a tie while regulating jack position
or dampers? That tie is gonna get all messed up from rubbing against stuff
while you're leaning over to get a good view of the jacks/dampers. Or lying
down on the floor doing pedal work, or a DC install. Dang chokers they
are!!! <G>) ) And they are unnecessary for our profession, unless you run
out of napkins (how ties originated). People value competence over fashion.
'Specially nowadays.

I'd like to hear Ed Foote's take on this. I know he wears overalls/coveralls
to his appointments. And makes a good income.  What do you think, Ed?

--
JF