[pianotech] Ties

Gary Doudna doudna440 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:32:41 MST 2011

On Jan 26, 2011 4:01 PM, "Paul T Williams" <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu>
wrote:

Charles Osgood!  We'll see you on the radio!

I wear a tie only when meeting a high mucky muck from the university or
meeting a great musician like Yo Yo Ma.  It is often asked of me to go on
stage during intermission to "touch up" any wandering unisons, but, of
course, this is only for show;unless the unison is wildly out.(this has
never happened btw...and am a total aural tuner with a Sanderson accutuner
collecting dust on my shelf)

Ties look nice, but they get in the way.  I dress pretty nicely around work,
usually;  but when I know I'm going to dig around and get dirty, then jeans
and a sweatshirt often prevail.  many days, I just look like an old college
student. Nobody complains, and the students, (the most important ones in a
school of music right behind my kind piano faculty friends) actually like me
casual.  But, maybe that's Nebraska for you.  I see students dressed to the
9's all the time, but only once in a while.  One doctoral student once told
me, "Don't dress for what you are, but dress for what you want to be!"
 Well, I'd like to be financially independent and dress as I wish, thank you
very much. If I had a trillion dollars, I would still wear jeans and a
sweatshirt whenever possible!!! Of course, the $5,000 Armani suits would be
on hand for the mucky-muck fund raising dinners and such. (I do dress up
pretty nicely when needed!! ;>)

Last weekend, Joshua Bell came to call. (This is embarrassing)  The contract
stated no need for intermission tunings, but while we greeted the artist
with his accompanist, offered (with the directors encouragement to say
"yes") that might I have a moment at intermission to touch up the piano?  Of
course, they said "yes"  Sad thing was, I was indeed in my jeans, snow
boots, and the whole country-fied hunter look! I should have carried my
hunting weapons as well!!! (bow and arrows, if you will).

Thankfully, nobody noticed or commented on my "country" attire.  In no way
was I going to shovel out the driveway and scrape my windows in full
"costume" early that day.  I went to work early that day, having 3 concert
tunings to see to and was not about to go home and change or bring something
with me. It was 8 stinking degrees that morning!

Perhaps a change of clothes at my shop might work for these emergencies??

Paul

 From: paul bruesch <paul at bruesch.net> To: pianotech at ptg.org Date: 01/26/2011
02:12 PM Subject: Re: [pianotech] Ties

I've toyed with the idea of trying out the look of a bow-tie, which I think
projects a "differen...