[pianotech] Fw: Tuning, was advertising

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 22:03:02 MST 2011

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)

-----Original Message-----
From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 04:59:19
To: David Andersen<david at davidandersenpianos.com>
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Tuning, was advertising

I stand corrected.  Yet I'm now having my experience of tuning with a machine present compared to cooking with a microwave. The issue has gotten muddied.  My point has little to do with the quality of a tuning produced with or without the machine assuming competence by the tuner (there are aural tuners who,in my view, would do well to check their decisions with an objective observer), both can produce excellent and artistic tunings, neither canned nor microwaved. And both can engage the tuner in a creative and satisfying way., I think we agree on that.

My main point in all this was to emphasize the business aspect. I believe there is an advantage to using a machine in terms of consistency, speed,  stress reduction all of which leads to better productivity and a better bottom line, more time and energy left at each appointment to deliver services that otherwise might not get done.

In terms of quality, I find that the machine is very good at laying the foundation of a well structured tuning so that the bulk of my energies can be spent on refinement, that includes no brainer effortless pitch corrections, something I have no interest in spending years on to master aurally. It's a waste of time and energy.

Moreover, in terms of learning the craft, I would argue that the use of an etd is much better at helping you insure that what you are spending so much time practicing is actually correct and verified. Practice doesn't necessarily make perfect but it does make permanent.

So I'm a strong advocate for using etd's for a variety of reasons. A remarkably useful tool, not perfect by itself but like all tools, they make our lives easier and can, when used properly, make our product of consistently higher quality.  Not using one as a matter of personal pride is a mistake, in my view, just as using one does not reflect a lack of skill or expertise.  In rejecting technologies that bring us more information about what we do so that we might do it better, we run the risk of becoming dinosaurs. That goes not only for tuning but for things like action balancing, soundboard and scale design as well.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com
(sent from bb)