[pianotech] Yamaha Question

Mark Wisner mjwisner at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 27 08:56:42 MST 2011

Although I didn't work for Yamaha then, the story I heard was that the first pianos Yamaha exported to the USA (1963?) reacted to low humidity somewhat more energetically than anticipated.  As a result of the service issues, Yamaha reduced the moisture content that some components were cured to for those pianos that were sold in the Super-Dry (Yamaha's term) market.
Although some folks may disagree, I believe the practice continues today.

Mark Wisner