[pianotech] OT; for Duaine. Was: Tuning, was advertising

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 27 13:30:00 MST 2011

> Man, you aural tuners just can't stop trying to beat down ETD tuners.
Actually, with you at least, it seems to be the other way around. You
just can't
accept that aural tuners will not admire your way of tuning, and get on
board.

<snip> Wash, rinse, repeat. If it's worth saying, it's worth saying five
times?
> AGAIN - it has been - proven - that an ETD tuning is just as good as an
> aural tuning.
That is, if the aural tuner is Virgil Smith and the ETD tuner is Jim
Coleman, Sr.
Your Mileage May Vary, on both sides of the contest.
> Again, how many - years - is it going to take for you aural tuners to
> accept that the technology of ETD's are here to stay
> ????????????????????????????????????
>
> DAMN THIS ARGUMENT AND NON-ACCEPTANCE (OF ETD'S) IS GETTING MIGHTY OLD
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But every one here who has taken part in this thread on the aural side
has accepted
that ETD tuners have made a choice, and if they have learned to get a
high quality
tuning with an ETD, WE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH THAT!
(had to get in those caps.)

It seems to me, Duaine, that you are the one who is refusing to accept
the situation,
and your reaction is so extreme that I can't really feel that people who
like doing
aural tuning are your problem. It seems more likely that you tried and
failed the
PTG aural tuning test, and it sticks in your craw. You want to move
ahead to higher
status, but as long as that tuning test is needed for the credential,
you are stuck.
You either put in the time and effort .... but you either don't want to
or you are
afraid you wouldn't succeed .... therefore, the PTG should change its
RPT requirements,
and you're the guy to get them to do it! It's a lot less work (or less
threatening?)
than complying with a standard.

While the issue comes up now and then, and usually the discussion is
civil, so far
the PTG has declined to remove the aural tuning requirement from its exams.

It seems to me that you are completely free to pursue piano technology
in any way
which suits you ... there are no legal requirements at all, the PTG is
purely voluntary.
You can rejoin as an Associate, and no one will force you to take the
exams. You
can work without being in the PTG, but still attend conventions for a small
nominal extra fee. You can take part in the lists. So what's your beef?

You can tune with an ETD till the cows come home, no one has any issue
with that.
The quality of your tuning using it is between you, your mentor, and your
clientele.

So why not allow those of us who enjoy aural tuning a similar freedom?
Your way or the highway? Duaine Is Right, or you'll pour on the caps and
exclamation points all over again? And how DARE they fail you on an exam?
You'll show THEM, the bastards. They're all alike, those snooty RPTs,
and the whole bevy of aural tuners, the fossils, whether or not they
are even in the PTG or had anything to do with setting up the test,
they're all alike. You'll show them all, the troglodytes, the fossils, who
dare refuse to bow down to the almighty RCT.

Give it up.

Susan Kline