[pianotech] ETD tuning during temperature changes

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Thu Jan 27 14:02:02 MST 2011

On Jan 27, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Daniel Carlton wrote:

> … how is the next generation of tuners going to find the inspiration to pick up this important skill which is at the heart of our craft? …

Daniel,

At the risk of perturbing the current system, but not meaning to,
   what in your mind actually prevents the next generation
   from learning what needs to be done?

Telling them to do it our way or the highway?

Who qualifies a skill set but those already in power?

If one truly understands what needs to be done,
   why should they need to demonstrate that skill according to other standards
   based on past precedences?

In its most simplest terms that I can conceive,
   should I require a roofer to use a hammer to secure the new shingles,
   or are they allowed to use a nail gun,
   especially once having experienced the reality of using a hammer,
   and then deciding this is not the particular path for them to follow?

Please understand, I am not suggesting that someone give up using a hammer.
   There is a certain pleasure in the tactile experience.
   Much in the same fashion as playing a piano versus playing a keyboard.

Hopefully, this is not an inadequate example,
   but if so, I'm certain someone won't hesitate
   to share why it is not.

I present this not for sake of argument, but for potential new ways of looking at things.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT