[pianotech] My sock drawer

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 16:55:37 MST 2011

How to find a sock drawer in someone's house. We can find the house using a map, or we can punch in the address on our Garmin or a mobile device. But that only gets you to the house. But in order to find that sock drawer, we need to go inside the house, try various doors, figure out where the bedroom is, and then open each drawer, before you will be able to find the socks.

Tuning piano is pretty much the same thing. An ETD can tune the piano, (get to the house). But it's our ability to listen, evaluate, experiment, and eventually find that perfect sound, that will get you that "sock drawer". For most of us who tune aurally, once you've found that drawer, it will be pretty easy to find it again, and again.

For you tuners who have opted not to use an ETD, all I can say is, using a map is a good way to find a house, but a Garmin has made that job a little easier. It doesn't take anything away from your ability to find the sock drawer.

Wim