[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 20:05:17 MST 2011

The question should be: is anything repeatable? There used to be a journal
called The Journal of Irreproducible Results. It was well-thought-  of by
many good scientific minds, and served the purpose of disclosing a lot of
hooey and truly laughable experimentation. So let's try to design an
experiment.

Piano X is tuned as precisely as possible by ETD at time A.

Piano Y is tuned as precisely as possible aurally at time A.

At any other time after time A, the question needs to be raised as to
whether they're exactly the same piano as tuned either way at time A. I think it
 is arguable that both pianos become "different" due to structural shift
during  ambient and localized condition change. The "scaling" doesn't change,
but the actual physical condition of the string segments changes
(soundboards,  bridges, bearing, crown, terminations, harmonic structure of each
string). How  measurable is it? It's actually measurable down to hundredths of a
cent with the  correctly calibrated tools. We have done this here at CSPT on
some of the 7  master-tuned pianos that our students use to practice
tuning, including the  piano we use for the PTG tests. We wanted to make sure that
the "master" on  it was lasting adequately. It needed retuning and slight
re-mastering, and,  in my opinion, all test pianos should be subject to this
kind of  oversight. But this then begs a question:

Piano X was tuned at time A with an ETD, and the numbers recorded. If, at
time B, you then as precisely as possible re-tune that piano using the ETD,
you will find variance with the original numbers dialed in at the time A
tuning.  So this begs the question, is the tuning done and recorded on the ETD
 "repeatable"? Within rather large ranges, it is close, since the
structural  shift changes in the piano aren't immense. But it won't be the same. It
may be  as nice, but it won't be the same.

By the same token, piano Y, aurally tuned at time  A, will have undergone
its own changes. Re-tuning that piano at time B as  precisely as possible
will in fact tune the piano the best it can be tuned at  time B, but it will be
different, measurably, from the first tuning at time A.  It won't be the
same tuning. It can't be. It may be nice, but it won't be the  same.

In neither case is the original tuning "repeatable". It is a false  premise
from which to argue. In large, the use of ETD's to "repeat"  tunings works
within rather constrained limits and works well for large  inventories of
the same types of pianos, and as a substitute for those who  suffer hearing
loss in the high treble. To claim as its major advantage over  aural tuning
that fine tunings are repeatable from the numbers used in  prior tunings is an
unsupportable claim.

I am really open to counter-arguments on this. As we develop data here at
CSPT, in our research, it would be worthwhile to make it available.

Paul