[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Thu Jan 27 21:48:03 MST 2011

In a message dated 1/27/2011 9:32:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,
dahechler at att.net writes:

That  being said, however, the ETD would be - closer - to the same
because it  will have the same basic starting reference point - every -
time. Meaning,  the tuning is calculate-able, has the same amount of
stretch in the same  places, be more accurate, etc.

Closer is an interesting word, and is a "wiggle" argument.

The human ear undergoes changes, but usually not dramatically. Other than
the calibration of the tuning fork, which can vary wildly, but for the sake
of  argument let's say is controlled and calibrated within the same
variability  of an ETD's internal variability (pitch calibration and variation on
ETD's  is as much recognized as that on tuning forks), then the starting point
is the  same. My ear can set A4 against F2 with a fork the same every time,
certainly  within a very narrow range, and certainly no wider than the
"fundamental-only" pitch reading of the EDT.

The argument of repeatability simply isn't compelling as the goodness of
the EDT when we are talking about precision over time. As I  said, inventory
management issues, old age, and (as someone else mentioned)  alternative
tunings, are certainly strengths, and not dismissable.