[pianotech] Counts .......

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 28 03:41:46 MST 2011

WHAT is the REAL STORY, and WHY do the following facts resolve the issue of
aural vs ETD?  What do they have to do with the price of bread in Denmark?

" the tuning is calculate-able, has the same amount of stretch in the same
places, be more accurate, etc."

The ETD tuning is only as "accurate" as the algorithms used to calculate it,
and the parameters by which the program designer has defined accuracy.  That
is very precise these days, but not infinitely so.   You are assuming that
aural tunings are not calculable - they are.  They're called temperments and
checks.

We're arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, aren't
we?  If we start with a piano that is very, very close and then have our
best Aural and ETD tuners do their best tuning on it, you can end up with a
tuning that is virtually indistinguishable between the two by the best
pianistic ears in the world.  That is the only meaningful reference
standard.

I go back to David Andersen's comment about Barbara Renner's tunings.  I
have heard her tunings on many recordings - a very exposed environment -
and admired them.  I was surprised to learn a couple of years ago that she
tunes with an ETD.  And David's aural tunings are spectacularly good too.
Both are incredibly musical, which is the real bottom line.  What makes
these two people our very best is not their method - aural or ETD - but
their uncompromising commitment to excellence and their pushing the limits
to new ground.  That's what separates them from you.  You have reached a
point that you consider "good enough" and devote your every breath to
defending your ignorance from there, instead of using that energy to push
back the veils that are still before you.  We only realize where our
ignorance has been as new knowledge begins to leave it behind us.

It takes real humility to recognize when what we thought we knew is wrong,
and put our own egos out of the way so that we can learn something new.  It
is almost always true that our best teachers are eternal students.

Will Truitt