[pianotech] "Repeatable" tuning

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:21:13 MST 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Susan Kline <skline at peak.org> wrote:

> But if one asks, "can a repeat tuning give the same musical experience as
> before, if played by the same person?" I think that the answer is yes,
> within any reasonable limit. The pianist won't be exactly the same as he or
> she was before, either. The hall won't be the same, and maybe the audience
> has all come down with bronchitis. But the tuning can still be recognizably
> the same tuning, within the capacity of a bright musician to tell. If
> someone was making a recording on the piano, with a lapse of time between
> between two recording sessions, and one tuned it for both, being careful to
> get the initial A to match the fork very well, the engineers could cut
> between tracks from the two days without any difficulty. I think this could
> be said to be repeatable enough for any useful purpose.

This is how I view it as well.

Although I do sympathize with Ed Foote's mention of recording studios
needing to have things the same. That instance, however, is a very limited
instance in the scope of the rest of the musical world; therefore, we
shouldn't let that dictate how we should measure repeatability. (Not that Ed
is doing that -- I understand where he is coming from.)

We, in our profession, need these continual reality checks like the one
Susan so aptly points out. Otherwise, we, as professed purveyors of piano
technology, will let our craft devolve into an outlet for repressed OCD
proclivities and propensities toward anal retentivity. <G>

--
JF