[pianotech] The big discussion

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jan 28 09:29:04 MST 2011

I don't think I'm hung up on anything other than a rejection of the "woo
woo" aspect of tuning as it has been presented.  There is an art to it, of
course, but there is also a science.  I don't understand what you don't get
as suggested by your question about my kids not learning to write or do
basic math.  What I said was that they both use computers and word
processors and still learned to do the math and writing.  The tools didn't
get in the way.  The suggestion has been that the using an ETD prevents you
from gaining the aural skills.  I think that's a false supposition.   While
some may allow it to get in the way that's not the machine's fault.

And contrary to a popularly expressed opinion, I don't think you need to
become a skilled and complete aural tuner (if that's what you mean by
craftsman) before you can go out and try and make a living tuning pianos.
Moreover, I think it's arrogant to suggest it (and some have).  While I
won't argue that having fully developed aural skills isn't a great benefit
and that a person who doesn't have them might not get caught in a situation
that is compromising or revealing, say the machine breaks down or they have
to make a judgment call on a poorly scaled piano and aren't as equipped as
they should be, then they might pay the price for that in some way.  Perhaps
they won't be called upon to tune very high end pianos belonging to
demanding customers or do concert work.  But then their lack of experience
and a resume even if they did have aural skills might disqualify them in
those cases anyway.  But if you can manipulate the tuning hammer and pin
effectively and can tune solid and stable unisons, then whether or not you
can set an aural temperament or aurally stretch the piano perfectly by ear
the required amount should not disqualify someone from going out and trying
to make a living.  How successful they are will ultimately depend on how
they continue to develop their skills and knowledge and how much care they
put into their work, just like the rest of us.  I can recall attending a
class by Jim Coleman who was telling us about a student he was guiding who
was learning to tune using a machine.  He had reached the point (after about
four months) of tuning sold unisons by ear  but still relied heavily on the
machine for the rest of the tasks.  He (Jim) had no problem with sending
that person out into the real world at that point and neither would I, and
neither should anyone else, in my opinion.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com