[pianotech] Verituner question

Ron Koval drwoodwind at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 09:37:15 MST 2011

Avery wondered:
"Is there a way a previously aural tuner who now also
uses an ETD check the tuning as you go with this particular machine?"

Hi Avery - Thankfully, I've been busy so I hadn't taken the time to respond.
(also kept me out of the ETD/aural discussion this time!)

It depends how you are using the machine...  Once the "I" is filled for any
note, the machine isn't going to change the calculation.  Setting the note
selector on stepwise or even manual will keep the display on the correct note
while you play intervals.

If you are concerned about the calculation changing due to intervals being
sounded there are a few options:

1. Use saved files. There is an option to turn off the Ih measuring to really
assure that nothing will change.

2.  Pre-sample the piano.  It takes between 5-10 minutes to play one string
from each note A0-C7.  Fill the "I"s as much as you are willing to spend time,
but especially in the temperament section.  You only have to do this once for
each client if you save files and re-use them for the next visits.

I find that most pianos that I'm tuning for the first time need a couple of passes
to get to pitch and fine tune.  That first pass is the perfect opportunity to "live
in the unison" and let the machine measure as you tune.

Hope this helps!

Ron Koval
chicagoland