[pianotech] The big discussion -- Duaine

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jan 28 17:57:06 MST 2011

On 1/28/2011 3:16 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> And since over 3/4 of my first tunings are pitch raises, he said that
> real technique is learn how far you need to jerk/pull up the string to
> get it close to the pitch without going too far then tweak the string to
> get the right pitch.
Duaine, since you did get my attention over the last couple of days, I've
been thinking about your business and what it consists of.

If you are spending nearly all your time on antiques, pneumatic players,
pump organs, and neglected uprights, the ETD would probably get you to
where you need to go. In that case, your decision to not be an RPT is
understandable, while quitting the PTG was probably not a good idea.

If you move on and get into tuning for performances or for
musicians and teachers, then you, IMO, would need a lot more work
on the aural basis of tuning. But if you don't ---
all you need to do is drop the resentment, and accept who you are and
who you aren't. Let the chip fall off your shoulder and lie neglected
on the ground, and get on with the next player. Not many good
traditional player techs around, especially for pneumatics. Nature
abhors a vacuum, and will find every little place to foil your
efforts. It's a worthy undertaking, resurrecting pneumatic players,
not that easy to make a living at these days, but maybe you can.

You do seem to assume the worst of your colleagues, and then tell them
ALL about it. It doesn't serve you well. When I visit David Andersen's
website, and when I read what Del has to say, and Ryan, and Dale,
and Ron Nossaman, and Ron Overs, (plus many others, including those
who have taught classes I attended at conventions) I realize that some
people are at a level or do a type of work I will never reach or
never attempt. I seriously doubt I will ever install a new soundboard,
let alone do it often enough that I get really good at it, or
add something new to the knowledge of how to do it. It's not a judgment
on me or the quality of my work -- it's the way my life played out, and I
am very happy with what I CAN do.

When someone who does aural tuning, and/or concert tuning, and/or is an
RPT writes on the list, there is no need for you to take it personally
and lash out at them. Piano work has room for wide variety in how it is
done. Be glad that there are people doing what you could not. They add
richness to the world, and you can learn from them, if only you will
not let imaginary slights to your ego get in your way.

Susan Kline