[pianotech] Respect

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 07:43:30 MST 2011

Susan writes:

>The unadorned ETD tuning is not going to achieve quality - Susan Kline<

I suppose it depends on what is meant by "quality".    I once tuned a Steinway D with the FAC on a SAT 111.  I stopped the lights for every note, tuning unisions by setting the outside strings of the trichords to the machine and the middle string by ear, (there are phase relationships that the machines cannot understand).
        The recording session went well, and Yo Yo Ma commented that it was a fine tuning.  Just how far does  a machine have to go to be "quality"?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT