[pianotech] Terry's Comments<G>

Nicholas Gravagne ngravagne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 13:33:33 MST 2011

Thanks, Horace!

Yeah, it is TOO cool. Alum-a-tone is exactly right! Good sales phrase -- the
tone shimmers like crinkled aluminum foil in the sun.

The old buggy with a genuine Alcoa Plate was mfg. circa mid to late 1940s, a
gift to my mother from my father, and began its musical life in a
third-story walk up apartment in Da Bronx, NY after which it moved to two
locations in NJ where I went to school and grew up.

I played in Jersey rock 'n roll bands and club date bands all through the
60s and half the 70s (prior to moving west) and we used this humble music
box to work out innumerable chord changes and arrangements. It has served
well, and I am happy to have inherited it after my folks passed on.

The piano comes to me complete with a hole drilled down through the top of
one key. In  his youth, my curious older brother Anthony (called Tony or
Ant'ny) just had to know if piano keys were solid "ivory" --- he learned
that they are neither solid nor ivory. I was more than amused watching him
try to explain this to our Bronxian father, Vinny --- a Kodak moment.

I'm thinking of totally rebuilding this thing and showing it sometime at a
rebuilder's showcase ;-)

See ya soon at WESTPAC this March.

NG