[pianotech] Counts .......

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sat Jan 29 15:22:00 MST 2011

Bill

This is EXCELLENT. Thank you.

Dean

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Bill Fritz
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 4:54 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] Counts .......

Susan, you made the following statement (below).  Let me make sure I
understand you correctly...

When the "Tune-off" occurred between Jim Coleman Sr (ETD only) and Virgil
Smith (Aural only)...  the general conclusion was that the tunings were a
tie... both times that they attempted this challenge.  Right?  I believe Jim
Coleman Sr was using a SAT tuner...  a generation or two behind today's RCT
or Verituner or TuneLab (which is engineer speak for today's tuners being
more comprehensive in their inharmonicity analyses).

An ETD in the hands of Jim equaled the Aural tuning of Virgil's.  So with
Virgil being one of the premier aural tuners in his time, in what way was
the ETD's tuning quality limited?

In some cases we've already heard from other tuners who say an ETD's tuning
of a poorly designed spinet is better than the aural chasing of the same
piano.

Are you perhaps referring to an unlimited time period used to tune a Concert
piano?...  vs pounding out 4-5 pianos a day, 5-6 days a week?  I can
partially understand your comments on the former, but certainly not the
latter.  I sincerely doubt that the bulk of RPT's punching out 4-5 pianos a
day, 5-6 days a week can ensure their tuning would always pass the RPT
Tuning test, like the ETD can facilitate.

And finally, if the Tuning committees admit that using an ETD on all parts
of the Tuning exam would yield scores approaching 100%... then how is that
ETD tuning limited?

Personally:  I think there are several different issues being bounced around
throughout this series of threads...

1) which can produce a better tuning -- ETD or Aural  (I'll say both &
neither... it depends on the hands & ears guiding the tuning hammer)

2) which method gives you a better "A440"?  A tuning fork or an ETD?  Let's
take 100 of each, calibrate the forks & ETD's, and then over the next 2
months test the "A440"s tuned, under various temperatures, environments,
etc.  I'll bet $50 on the ETD.

3) if both can produce very good tunings, then in light of the highest
tuning importance being a) stability, then b) unisons, then c) octaves, then
d) temperament... it would seem that it should be an individual's choice as
to whether one could or should be an Aural vs ETD tuner, since stability &
unisons are determined by the Technician's competence, rather than an
argument of the ETD vs the 4:2 stretch.

4) if one could pass the RPT Tuning test w/ an ETD (and at least understand
the concepts & why's of beats & 4:2's etc), then why doesn't the PTG allow a
100% ETD test?

5) if both RPT's & Associates both pay the same dues, when why is one group
"Taxed without Representation"?

6) if new tools become available which can equal or surpass "the test", then
why are we completing the test the old way?  (I'm sure as heck not going
back to cursive writing... typing is far superior for me.)

7) if we are going to be considered "professionals" like Issac Stein
mentioned in his recent PTJ editorial... a) why are RPT's not being
re-tested on a regular basis... like the Professional Engineers & their
licenses (every 2-4 years, depending on the State) he refers to?  And b) why
no "continuing education requirements" such as Natl or Regional PTG
conventions or minimum number of Chapter Technicals attended for an RPT to
maintain their "status"?  Teachers & Engineers have these requirements... as
well as other "professions".

8) if today's RPT Tuning tests are indeed what anyone must pass to become an
RPT... then how is that status impacted by Jim Coleman Sr's statement in the
Tuning Examination Source Book foreward (reprint 2002) "We set our scoring
and tolerance system so that 80 percent of our present members (Craftsman)
would pass at a grade of 80 percent"... implying that 20% of those remaining
grandfathered RPT's would fail today's test...

So Susan, other than trying to understand your "ETD's are limited"
comment... I also wanted to put on paper the other sub-issues I think I
hear... and that should be addressed if this PTG organization is to grow &
improve.  Continuous Process Improvement.  Similar to the piano itself...  a
Technician is either improving themselves, or going downhill.  "What are you
doing for your own improvement, lately?"

PS A hearty THANK YOU for this pianotech group's comments, arguments, and
thoughts: I have certainly appreciate each & every constructive opinion on
the various topics... and I for one appreciate the sharing of info & wisdom
by the many.  It helps me to become a better Technician.

Best Regards...   Bill Fritz, St Louis