[pianotech] Q & A Roundtable

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Jan 29 17:49:01 MST 2011

How fast you tune has less to do with how quickly you can decipher whether
there is a beat or not and more to do with how quickly and efficiently you
can use the tuning hammer to manipulate the pin and string segments the
desired amount and leave them in a stable position.  The challenge for most
of us is not in hearing the beats, slow or fast, it's how to use the tuning
hammer on top of a flexible pin moving a string through various friction
points, some of which render better than others, and know that we've arrived
at our destination and that everything will stay there.  Until you
understand and master that, faster or slower audio recognition won't amount
to much saved time.  I'm conducting a short seminar for the local chapter
this week on this very subject.  If I can, I'll write up a synopsis.  There
is a method to the madness.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com