[pianotech] in response to a post

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Jan 29 22:38:53 MST 2011

Hi Marshall,

I've run into the ETD having trouble with false beats, weird harmonics, or something that causes the display to go crazy. Usually it seems like it's a spinet or upright in the mid to upper treble. I learned from one of my mentors to just reach up and pluck the string if you have that problem.  The few times I tried it it worked beautifully!  I plucked the string and the ETD locked right on to the note.  I'm sure greater minds will be able to delineate the intricacies of why that occurs...

Regards,

Rob McCall

McCall Piano Service, LLC
www.mccallpiano.com