[pianotech] Respect

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Sun Jan 30 06:24:35 MST 2011

In message <DDC5495EED964A0F96AA34AD7FF79E76 at PC0D99>, Leslie Bartlett
<l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net> writes
>Somewhere in the archives there should be a couple of articles in which
>the aural skills were matched against the machine skills of Jim
>Coleman. The machine tuning won 3/2 over Virgil Smith!  So, they did it
>a second year and Virgil won the second one 3/2.   Decent tuners are
>decent tuners. Les bartlett

One was done in the UK with 5 tuners on 5 uprights each piano was tuned
I believe 35cens below pitch.   Each candidate had 1.5 hours to tune the
piano to pitch.  Would have been nice to have 3 tuners who used ETD but
we could not find anyone else  who was willing to be tested with an ETD

3rd 4th place was the ETD the standard was very high on all 5 tunings

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/