[pianotech] Nitrocellulose Lacquer: Stirred, Shaken, or Left Alone?

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Sun Jan 30 09:34:31 MST 2011

I purchased a gallon of ML Campbell clear nitrocellulose lacquer and their
thinner to use to build tone in Steinway hammers.  Since this lacquer is 25%
solids, per Steinway manual I used a ratio of roughly 8:1 thinner to
lacquer.  One application (hammers thoroughly soaked) did not build tone as
I thought it would.  What happened?  Also, wondering now if the solids
settle, and maybe I didn't stir or shake the lacquer before using--don't
remember now.  Does this matter?  Thanks for any ideas.  Still learning how
to do this.

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136