[pianotech] Respect

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sun Jan 30 10:16:52 MST 2011

On 1/30/2011 7:09 AM, Daniel Carlton wrote:
>> /I am obsessive/compulsive/
>> /but this is a trade in which we can make that work to our advantage./
> /<grin> Ed, I used to talk with my customers about that tiny little
> touch of OCD,
> and how lucky it was to find a profession where it helps instead of
> hurts!
>
> Susan /
> /
> /
> This is encouraging news to me. Maybe I'm not so crazy after all. (I'm
> serious!)
>
> Daniel Carlton

Daniel, if you look at such things from an anthropology standpoint,
if traits like OCD are not all that uncommon in the general public,
over the millennia, they possibly had a useful role to play, at least
in their milder forms.

I think that some problems like OCD tend to get worse on a refined
("denatured"?) modern diet, but even eating like hunter-gatherers
(paleolithic) some form of it will probably surface in a certain
percentage of the population.

I'm sure that piano tuning is not the only field of endeavor where
getting stuck working very hard on details for hours helps to
produce a good outcome. When working along with generalists (who
can help them change gears) OCD types would be a strong part
of the team, IMO, sometimes a critically important part.

Susan