[pianotech] Player piano question.

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 11:59:28 MST 2011

List - I've got a question concerning a player piano rebuild that I'm hoping
those with more experience can give an opinion on.

Back in the 70's and early 80's I rebuilt a number of player actions, but
I've since tried to steer clear, and leave the work to others with more
expertise than myself.  Recently, however, after some arm twisting, I
consented to take a player into the shop. The piano work is done, and I now
need to tackle the player action.

Here's my question. With the past rebuilds, I've decided that the gluing
method that I used to attach the bellows to the decks has not proved as
tight as I would like.  I used hot animal hide glue, and clamped the bellows
with Jiffy clamps overnight. But now, 20 or 30 years later, I don't think
the seals are completely tight.

Would I see an improvement if I were to preheat one or the other of the wood
surfaces? I've always wondered if the glue might have gelled prematurely
upon contacting the cold wood? Or, would I be better off to put in an
automotive type gasket material, and use Titebond? I want a bond that is
able to be torn back apart down the road, if another rebuilder does the
whole thing over again in some distant year. Not likely, I realize, but I
myself re-redid a couple of rebuilds where the previous rebuilder had glued
the bellows directly to the decks with woodworking glue. On one such pianos
I had to remake the entire set of bellows from scratch - a job that
definitely wasn't figured into the estimate!

Duaine, would you have an opinion on this? What is the method you prefer?

Thanks, Chuck