[pianotech] Fred Sturm's Temperament Articles

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 13:17:22 MST 2011

I totally agree! What a contribution. Although I really enjoyed Owen
Jorgenson's writings, I think Fred effectively blew many of his theories out
of the water. It's too bad that Owen is not around to answer. It would have
been a great and lively discussion!

It certainly proves how much the power of the printed word has! It's amazing
how much Mr. Jorgenson's writings have become the "Bible" on historical
tuning - to the point where his questionable conclusions about cents
deviation of particular temperaments is loaded into thousands of ETDs.

That being said, one thing I really gained from Owen was the inspiration to
experiment with historical tuning and try it for myself. I learned a lot
about what compromises have to be made and why.

Thanks again, Fred for the important work you have done.

BTW - Fred is teaching at the Kansas City Convention. Don't miss out!
(shameless advertising plug!)

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter