[pianotech] the big discussion

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Jan 30 14:36:08 MST 2011

Keith writes;
>   The equal temperament this software produces is unequaled
>    in my experience to all other ETDs' I have used. No fiddling.

    This equal temperament is more equal than equal?
     If we are to make use of such a comparison, there is a need for limits, as in, there is no such thing as perfectly equal,(we would need specific wire sizes for every note in the temperament to keep the inharmonicity perfectly graduated, wouldn't we?), and the math for equal is , well, equal for all ET's.
   So, I assume you have done a side by side match with another ETD's ET?   I would be interested in the deviations between the Stopper temperament and say one from the VT or SAT.  Is that info available?
And if we are truly talking about .1 or .2 cent differences in anything other than a unison, can you demonstrate that the difference can be heard?

> Only the most discerning aural tuners could ever
>    possibly come close to the results this software produces.

  If we take the "results" to be what is perceived by listeners, we would need
to compare two pianos, one of which has another ETD's tuning on it. Has this been done anywhere?
Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/index.htmll