[pianotech] Player Piano Question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 16:15:23 MST 2011

>I guess warm would be a better word rather than heat.
I notice Ron said that if the shop is at least 60, you are ok.
I just heat my shop prior to use, so although the air is 68, the heat
doesn't get into the parts till later. Summer is fine.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia<

I keep the temp at 60 degrees, unless I need to have a project where warm
temperature is better, such as brushing polyurethane. Then I crank it up to
75 and put on a tee-shirt.

I'll try setting the temperature up the night before the job, then hitting
the surfaces lightly with the heat gun before gluing.

And Ron, I'll order some of pianotek's glue. All I have right now is what
Schaff carries.

I'll try some of the "fish" glue you're talking about, Duaine. Maybe on
another application at first. I'm pretty used to doing the bellows with hot
glue.

As far as your questions about other work done on the player actions, Ron,
that would vary. Usually I replaced the pouch leather, and the valve faces -
some with leather and some with a white imitation leather that Player Piano
Company used to sell. Possibly a problem with that stuff as well.

My problem with player actions is that I know just enough to be dangerous. I
think you really have to specialize in player actions to do really top level
work.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. ,  Chuck